INTRODUCTORY AWARD IN TRAINING SKILLS – CITY AND GUILDS, UK
Training is an essential element of development in any organization. Some individuals become trainers because they are passionate about sharing their knowledge and about helping people. Others become trainers because their employer asks them to get involved in mentoring, training, or coaching new or existing employees. Trainers also get started when they want to make some changes to their daily activities, but wish to continue contributing to a particular organization or industry. This workshop is designed for a trainer or anyone who wants to become a trainer and develop training programs that are meaningful, practical, and will benefit both trainees and the organizations
DETAILED TRAINING CONTENTS
Module I: Training session planning and Designing
The objective of this module is to teach participants how to develop a training course. They will know the key concepts related to adult learning, writing learning outcomes, training course design and training evaluation.
Key topics covered are:
How do adults learn?
- Principles of Adult Learning
- Motivating the adult learner
Training Program Design and Planning
- Designing the training program
- Writing learning objectives
- Planning a Workshop
- Preparing a Lesson plan
- Designing and conducting on-the-job-training
- Purpose of an ice breaker / energizer
- Resource planning
Module II: Facilitation / Delivery Skills
The objective of this part is to prepare a professional trainer who has effective presentation and facilitation skills. Participants will practice delivery through several rounds of short presentations and training sessions. Participants will learn how to use advanced training aides and tools including case studies, role-plays, surveys, self-assessments, and Audio/Visual tools.
Key topics covered are:
What makes a Good Trainer?
- Introductory presentation: Assessing your delivery skills
- Characteristics of an Effective Trainer
- Elements of a successful training program
- Common Errors in Training delivery
Tuning Your Facilitation Skills
- Use of Learning styles
- The Art of Facilitation
- Developing your training style
- Tuning your presentation skills
- Planning and preparing your training session
- Focusing your energy on the training session
- Overcoming Nervousness
Creating a relaxing and interactive training environment
- Your Role as an Effective Communicator
- Using non-verbal communication and effective body language
- Setting the climate – Icebreakers
- Managing the Question and Answer Period
- Dealing with Difficult Trainees
- Handling Difficult Situations when delivering training
Using Training Aides Effectively
- Using Visual Aids effectively
- Selecting suitable audio visual tools
- Practicing the use of case studies in training:
- Practicing the use of role plays in training
- Using in-class hands-on exercises, self-assessments and surveys
- Second Presentation: Practicing Delivery
Module III: Assessing and evaluating training
Here participants will be exposed to methods of assessing as to see if they had learned
- Assessment of learning objectives
- Evaluation of training
- Final Assessment Presentation based on the learning
- 30 minute MCQ paper to assess the theory and 10 minute practical presentation
the International certification by City & Guilds – UK
Profile of the Trainer: Harshana Dassanayake
Director – DAASH GLOBAL – DAASH Consultancy &
Training (Pvt) Ltd
- Director – International Academy of Mentoring &
- Ambassador – International Institute of Coaching & Mentoring (IIC&M) – Sri Lanka & Maldives
- Qualification Assessor & External verifier – City &
Harshana Dassanayake counts 26 years of proven performance, having worked for country’s top Corporates. With a proven track record in Sales, Customer Service, Special Accounts/Key Account Management and Marketing which has given him a rare and an unique edge to pursue a compelling career in Human Resource Management and Development, with an exemplary approach and utmost dedication. At present he is the Director at DAASH Consultancy & Training Pvt Ltd, and International Academy of Mentoring & Coaching (IAMCasia), Sri Lanka.
He holds a Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources from the University of Coventry, UK and a Diploma in HRM offered by the PIM, University of Sri Jayewardenepura, Sri Lanka. He also holds a Specialist Advanced Diploma in Teaching, Training and Assessing Learning and an International Diploma in Teaching and Training by City and Guilds, United Kingdom and a Diploma in Psychology from American College. In addition Harshana had completed a Diploma course in Out Ward bound Training (Hong Kong).
Harshana is a certified trainer by multiple leading international institutes, and is a certified NLP practitioner too. He is also trained by SHL (UK), to administer occupational testing, competency based interviews and Assessment / Development Centers. Harshana has been trained to be an executive and a corporate coach in Sri Lanka.
He is a Certified Trainer and a Visiting Verifier for City and Guilds UK for Ad. Diploma/ Diploma (IVQ level 3) and the award in training skills courses and had trained and certified internal trainers of HSBC/ HDPL, First source Dialog, Sri Lanka telecoms, Holcim, Virtusa, Union Assurance, AIA Insurance from 2012 to 2016. In addition Harshana had conducted many public T.T.T (Training of Trainers) programs since 2006 and had trained about 1000+ professional and part time trainers in Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, India and Maldives.
Designing and delivering customized outdoor adventure based training for corporate teams is one of his key strengths. He had facilitated outdoor team building programs since 2002 to groups of 20 pax to 350 pax. HSBC/HDPL, Dialog Axiata , Hutchison Telecoms, Hydramani group, Nations Trust bank, Seylan bank, Commercial Bank, Pearson Sri Lanka, John keels (leisure sector), CBL, Kelani cables are some of his past and present clients.
He has conducted training / lecturing for the Faculty of Engineering University of Moratuwa (MBA in IT) and faculty of Education University of Colombo, University of Sri Jayewardenepura in the areas of Team building and Teaching skills respectively and Junior command and staff college, Sri Lanka Air force Ratmalana.
Harshana is a professional member and Executive council member (2013/14) of the association of HR professionals (HRP) Sri Lanka, and a professional member of the Institute of Management Sri Lanka and a member of the Sri Lanka Institute of training and development (SLITAD).